Facebook Pixel ID for Restoration1 of West Denver

Should You Use Bleach for Mold Removal?

mold on a white wall

No matter what you read on the internet, the answer is a resounding NO! Why? For the most part, using bleach just makes every restoration job we encounter that much harder. Here’s why.

First, Let’s Talk About Mold. The particles that turn into mold are actually in the air around us every day. When the moisture level is high – let’s say after a flood in your bathroom or basement – mold growth will start quickly – and it will continue to grow as long as the moisture level remains high.

Sometimes, homeowners grab bleach and start cleaning. While bleach is a disinfectant, it doesn’t really clean the dirt and residue from surfaces. To do that you need the right cleaners – which we will get into a bit later.

Never use bleach this way. There are many surfaces that should not have bleach applied to them. Because bleach is very corrosive, it can make a bigger mess of things than when you started. Here are surfaces that should never be cleaned with bleach:

  • Wooden surfaces – such as floors or furniture
  • Anything that is metal – including door and window frames, faucets, appliances.
  • Granite countertops – you can cause damage, which generally means replacing the countertop!
  • Never mix bleach with other chemicals, and of course,
  • Don’t use bleach to sanitize anything you will eat off of.

What is the problem with bleach? For one thing, bleach is very strong and can cause damage to surfaces, as well as to skin, lungs and eyes. It can even cause skin rashes and extreme headaches. Bleach can also be counterproductive in cleaning mold. It actually encourages toxic mold growth because it provides excess moisture. Bleach, in fact, is 90% water. When you apply it to any surface, the chlorine part of bleach vanishes quickly, leaving behind more water.

How do you clean mold? The answer here is very carefully and very expertly. What we’re trying to say here is, call on experts to remediate any damage done to your house because of water intrusion. Not only do remediation experts have the training to clean your home and remove mold, but these experts also have the right products to do the job. The cleaning products used by Restoration 1 of West Denver to remediate water damage and stop mold growth are EPA registered products. They are not only disinfectants, but include chemicals that act as a sanitizer and mildewstat. These cleaners are designed to clean and disinfect non-porous surfaces. They will do a better job of cleaning your surfaces, getting rid of mold without doing further harm – either to you personally or to your home.

Let us help. If you have a water problem that has resulting in flooding, give us a call at 72O-605-2994. We are happy to explain how we will restore your property, what products we will use and give you a quick estimate on our services. We are also happy to work with your insurance company. And by the way, here’s an article on how to file a claim after a water damage disaster.